Saturday, June 5, 2010

Cooking on the budget and more...

The budget for food was actually pretty easy to stick to this week. Thank goodness for Price Rite, it has ridiculously reasonable prices for fruits and veggies. I also tried to stick to the more wholesome, less processed stuff. It required much more forethought than needed in cooking frozen chicken nuggets, but I liked it!

Some of the things I've tried this week are plantains (fried and baked) which I really liked, but hubby was seriously disgusted. I also tried a new coating for homemade chicken nuggets... corn flakes :) Phoebe LOVED them! Payton is hooked on wagon wheel pasta with tomato soup and parmesan cheese grated on top (I make the soup with milk instead of water... I know it's still processed, but it makes me feel better - ok?!?) We've also been eating more salad. I used some leftover corn on the cob to make a little salsa... corn kernels with chopped tomato and oregano.

I'm sticking with the pancakes and applesauce as a "go to" for rushed days and Payton's making it easy by requesting a toast sandwich every morning for breakfast. BTW... Payton graduated Preschool 3 last night!! OK, so she's going into the same class next year because of her age, but she did amazing :)

Tomorrow Phoebe is graduating Kindergarten and going into 1st grade... that's "real school!" OMG... when did my little girl grow up?? She's become such the little writer, artist, actress. She's so amazing! They both are. It's insane to think that she can now read her little sister a book at night. She loves to read and write... I actually had to put a ban on paper this week because she uses too much of it at a time. She doesn't waste it and she draws phenomenal pictures, but she draws a LOT.

Anyway, between all of this I've also taken to the great outdoors. Ok, actually just yard work. I've never done yard work. I've never wanted to do yard work. It was always the thing that needed to get done and I would wait until my poor hubby would finally do it on his very rare moment off. This year, I decided to help out and take a little stress out of his life. So I mow the lawn and cleaned the side of the driveway, planted a little garden, tamed the damn raspberry bush and I'm finally scraping the garage to prepare it for painting!! I feel pretty proud of myself, and he's pretty proud of me too, which helps :)

So, I'm going to go watch a little mindless television and hit the hay. Tomorrow is the first day of the summer for the girls and I have to figure out what we're going to do. I'm a little excited and a little scared... we'll see how long it takes to before I just let them play on the computer. lol

No comments: