Monday, July 5, 2010

Update on the Cooking on a Budget

We've been doing pretty other than splurging on some locally handmade ice cream... omg, that is totally my weakness! Well, that and chinese, subway, and Honey Dew!! If you don't have a Honey Dew near you, I'm sorry. I'm sorry because you've never had an Iced Mocha Madness. It's sooo yummy. I know a lot of places have the same type of drink, half coffee/half cocoa combo, but it never tastes like theirs. Theirs' is soo yummy. I actually have to get mine decaf because Phoebe steals it usually and I don't think that a 5yr old really needs any more energy.

Anyway, Price Rite is still helping big time as far as keeping food costs down. Apples are $.99/lb, grapes $1.29/lb, banana $.49/lb, pineapples $2.99 each - all the time!! Awesome. It also helps that cereals are under $2/box unless they are the BIG boxes of Pops, Frosted Flakes, or Fruit Loops, but even then, it's just $2.99 each. I wish they sold store cards because everyone would get those for gifts :)

I know it's the middle of the summer and the last thing on your minds, but don't forget that the food pantries still need help, as well. I'm as guilty as everyone else, because we drifted. Not because we don't care (because we really do) but because we got caught up in life and simply forgot. Silly, sad, typical... I know. BUT that doesn't mean, we can't start again! Canned fruit is great, but stored in the juice is definitely better than the heavy syrup stuff. Canned veggies aren't as refreshing as the fresh produce, but it can still be used to make some great recipes!

I will start posting some canned food recipes, and please, if you have any recommendations, feel free to let me know! I want to make a second edition of the Pantry Cookbook this year :)

No comments: