Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Book Club!!

This is pretty much my WHOLE kitchen!!
I was sooo excited Monday... it was MY turn to host Book Club :) Now, usually what we do is the host of bookclub does the main entree and everyone brings something. The normal breakdown would be Salad, Bread, Dessert, and WINE!! Now, I have to mention that prior to starting this bookclub, I never drank wine. I thought it was disgusting and harsh... and well, I couldn't do it. But, thankfully, I've grown up and developed a taste for it. Don't get me wrong, I have no idea about flavor and pairings or anything like that, but I do enjoy a glass of wine with my ladies.

This time, I was craving Chinese. I don't know about you, but I love chinese food. I love sushi, seaweed salad, the soups, the sauces... mmm! Everything about it. So I wanted to make chinese food. I went searching the web and found the stuff I was looking for Egg Drop Soup, Shrimp Egg Rolls, and Shrimp and Veggie Lo Mein. These recipes were AWESOME!! I also grabbed some Seaweed Salad at our local Market Basket.

I have to admit though... I changed a few things. I don't buy regular coleslaw mix anymore because I am in LOVE with Broccoli Slaw. It has more flavor, color, and nutrients. It works amazingly in the egg rolls. The only other thing I changed was that I used egg roll wrappers instead of wonton wrappers because that's what I had in the freezer. I didn't make the dipping sauce, but I'm sure it's just as amazing :)

The Shrimp and Vegetable Lo Mein was awesome too... even though it was a WW recipe. I'm always a little nervous because sometimes their recipes can be bland, but this rocked! I think it was because there was oyster sauce, sesame oil, and yummy veggies. I took out the bamboo shoots and added about 8oz of baby bella mushrooms. Everyone loved it all so much that I really didn't even have any leftovers.

After we discussed the book a little, drank some wine and settled into conversation I was asked if we had any chocolate. I hadn't planned for dessert because of the bountiful assortment I was throwing at everyone, but thanks to The Pampered Chef, I was able to whip together a 12 minute Miracle Cake! hehe.

So we read "The Next on My List" by Jill Smolinski this month. It was my pick and I flew through it. I have to warn you, if you decide to read it... it's pretty much a chick flick within a binding. Some of the ladies had serious trouble reading it because of the ummm... lack of content. But I LOVED it. lol. To be honest, it's been a little hectic around here and it was nice to sink into something that didn't really make me think much.

The book is about a "Bucket List" that needs to be completed before a deadline. Now, there's a twist to it slightly, but that's all that needs to be said right now. It started me thinking and I realized that I've never created a bucket list. I mean, I've had goals for myself, but I've changed so much that those goals aren't even relevant anymore. So I mentioned this point and the ladies had me get some paper and a pencil and wanted me to make a list.

I will be 35 years old in less than a month!! Yes, in 20 days I will be 35yrs old and I have no idea where I am going?? What do I want to do? I could potentially be making a jump in careers, but that's not certain. I would love to be a teacher, or maybe a guidance counselor, or even an administrator... but I LOVE being an Athletic Trainer. I want to do more stuff for my community, the school, my kids, my family. They put a stipulation on the list that doesn't let me put any home improvement items on it... BUMMER!! That would have been easy. Remember a few posts back. And then. But no... I have to do 40 things before I am 40.

I'm working on the list now and will post it when it's done. But, as promised. Here are some more pics of my kitchen...
 
 So I took off the wallpaper to see what was behind it. Now I've discovered I have to change that little board behind the sink before putting on the tile, but I'm ready!! Isn't the sink huge? I love it :)

 This is my homemade pot rack. That was stainless steel flat hanger for a spice rack or cup for utensil, like over my stove below. BUT I added some cool shower curtain hooks and now it's my custom pot rack!

No comments: