Thursday, July 3, 2008

A Little Perspective for the Day

I have always been one of those people who want it all. I know that sounds horrible, but I can't describe it any other way. I've never minded having to work harder to actually get it, but I've always wanted it. I guess that's what happens when you grow up in a rich town, not being so rich. I actually remember signing up for an art class in college and then dropping out because I was going to have to pay for the materials, and didn't want to ask my parents for the extra money.

Don't get me wrong. We never went without, and we were a very happy family. I told my mom recently that I never really knew that we were cutting corners growing up until I was on my own. I actually believed that corned beef hash from the can mixed with mashed potatoes was the best supper ever!! It wasn't until my husband and I owned a breakfast place, that I realized that was a side dish.

We also never went on "family vacations". There were four kids, my brother and two step brothers. My parents didn't really have the money to bring us to Disney, like all of the other kids. We went camping in Vermont every year and we looked forward to that! It cost my parents 100 bucks for food and gas and we had a blast!

But I always thought that when I had kids I'd give them all I could. I've started changing that a little. Talking to friends and coworkers, I've started changing my ideas of what "everything" is. A friend and I would bring the kids to the zoo and each time, Phoebe would ask for a toy and I'd give in. It was starting to get costly. EL suggested the squished pennies once. Ya know what, Phoebe LOVES them!! I also try to offer her special time instead of toys now too. I've started to realize that what I had was enough. It isn't the toys or the clothes or any of the stuff you buy.

It's being a family and teaching the kids to cherish what they have and who they are. It's teaching them to care about others and learning that what you have, no matter how little or how much is actually "everything" you need. I was searching blogs tonight and saw this and it put it into Perspective.

So I wish everyone "enough"! Goodnight :o)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Tee! I'm having fun reading your blog. It was nice meeting you today.
-Anne

-Tee- said...

Nice meeting you too! I just kind of babble, but you hope you enjoy :o) BTW - I loved your bags, and clips, and just about all of your crafts... lol!